Nowadays, QR Codes are not just used for inventory and marketing. This technology has also found its place in government transactions and records. In this blog, let’s discuss the uses of QR Code for vehicle registration.
All About QR Codes
What are QR Codes?
QR Codes are two-dimensional barcodes that can be scanned using a smartphone. First invented in Japan in 1994, they have been popular in Asia, especially in China, for years before being widely adopted in the West during the pandemic. Today, the use of QR Codes continues to rise as more and more businesses and organizations reap the benefits of this technology.
Why are QR Codes popular?
First, QR Codes are cheap to create and scan. For simple solutions, there are a handful of good QR Code generators in the market. For more dynamic options, there are paid QR Code generators that come at a relatively low cost. In addition, scanning QR Codes only requires a smartphone (and a barcode reading mobile application).
Second, QR Codes have the ability to store large amounts of information in a variety of formats. From simple texts to URLs to commands to files, QR Codes can serve as a gateway to any web page that exists on the Internet and a storage space for documents.
Third, QR Codes are easy to create. There’s no coding involved. With the right QR Code generator, you can create a QR Code in a matter of minutes.
QR Code for Vehicle Registration
As the number of vehicles increase and government regulations change, so does the need for a tool that can store larger amounts of data. QR Code can help traffic enforcers make the process of verifying vehicle registration faster and more efficient. Using QR Code, traffic enforcers can check the vehicle’s ownership and registration papers as well as track potentially stolen vehicles.
Here are the ways QR Codes can be useful in vehicle registration:
- Verify driver/vehicle registration. With QR Code, police and traffic enforcers can quickly verify the driver’s and/or vehicle registration.
- Keep registration documents secure. Carrying a stack of registration papers all the time can be a hassle for a driver. Moreover, these papers are prone for wear and tear or loss. Storing them digitally inside a QR Code ensures that these documents will not be lost.
- Track potentially stolen vehicles. If a vehicle is stolen, the agency can add a tag on the record. Upon scanning the QR Code, police can immediately see the tag and identify stolen vehicles.
- Monitor potential abusive acts by law enforcers. Using the scanning data gathered by paid QR Code generators, you can verify reports of abuses conducted by police and traffic enforcers. You can even identify who was the officer on duty at the time of scanning.
How Do I Create QR Codes for Vehicle Registration?
License plates issued by the government require a more secure and versatile solution, so we highly recommend subscribing to a paid QR Code generator. Paid QR Code generators lets you make dynamic QR Codes and upload files, including registration papers.
Here’s how you can create a QR Code that includes the driver’s information
- On your dashboard, look for the QR Code generator.
- For the name, you may use the registration number of the driver.
- For QR Type, choose vCard.
- Encode the important information about the driver.
- Perform a test scan to make sure it works. You may also ask the driver to verify their details.
- Download the vCard QR Code.
Alternatively, you can use dynamic links to create an editable QR Code.
- On your dashboard, look for the button that says “Create Link” and choose “vCard” from the dropdown menu.
- You may use the unique license number of the driver as the short URL.
- Encode the important details of the driver.
- Copy the short URL and create a static QR Code using the URL type.
- Perform a test scan and download the QR Code.
Compared to a static vCard, you can edit the details of this QR Code as many times as you want. The downside? You must be extra careful that only authorized changes be made to keep the drivers’ data secure.
Here’s how you can upload vehicle registration papers using dynamic links
- On your dashboard, go to Create Links and choose File.
- You may use the driver’s license number for the short URL. Similar to dynamic vCard, you will use this short URL to create a static QR Code using the URL type.
- Upload the PDF file of the driver’s registration documents and save.
The benefit of using dynamic links is that once the registration expires, you can upload their renewed records without having to generate a new QR Code.
How to Make QR Codes Secure
In my opinion, one of the biggest challenges when it comes to QR Codes is ensuring their authenticity. Since there are a lot of QR Code generators out there, anyone can just create QR Codes. So, you have to make sure that the QR Codes you issue are counterfeit-proof.
Here’s how a paid QR Code generator helps with this challenge:
- Specific domain name in the short URL
- Customize the appearance of your QR Code to reflect the agency
- Enable/Disable scanning for specific devices and operating systems
QR Codes for Disaster Management